Sunday, June 3, 2012

[Un]blocking of indiankanoon.org by judis

To: amishra@nic.in, dash@nic.in

Dear Dr. Shefali and Mrs. Alka,

I am the founder of the website indiankanoon.org that provides free
access to Indian court judgments and state-of-art search facility on
indian legal documents. Many people rely on indiankanoon.org for
retrieving court judgments relevant to their case. More than 10 lakh
people use indiankanoon in just one month.

I just found out that the IP address of indiankanoon.org (208.79.211.6)
is currently blocked by judis.nic.in As a result indiankanoon is not
able to get the new judgments.

IndianKanoon downloads judgments from judis daily at 00:00 am so that
there is no impact to the users of judis. If judis.nic.in is getting
overloaded because of IndianKanoon then I will be happy to follow any
directions given by you. I will reduce the crawling speed myself if you
unblock it immediately.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks,
Sushant.

3 comments:

Laxmikant said...

I had sent the following e-mail to the concerned persons and the reply received is also posted:
unblocking of indiankanoon.org site.
Inbox
x
Laxmikant Karmali

25 Jun

to amishra, dash
I am dismayed to learn that nic.in has prevented indiankanoon.org from copying the judgements from its site. Indiankanoon.org site was really doing good service. Its features are much better than those of indiancourts.nic.in. Indiankanoon.org was always acknowledging that the source of his judgements was from nic.in. When judgements posted on site by nic.in are for all public to see, what was the damage caused to you if indiankanoon.org copied the same judgements and made the same avaialable to a larger number of people ? Your actions seem to be autocratic and dictatorial. you are requested to reconsider your decision and unblock the same site.
Shefali Dash dash@nic.in via nic.in

25 Jun

to J.P., clmr, me, amishra

I’m forwarding your mail to the NIC Officers looking after the Courts Computerisation Project to examine the matter and advise you.

Shefali Dash



From: Laxmikant Karmali [mailto:laxmikant.karmali@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 June 2012 11:00
To: amishra@nic.in
Cc: dash@nic.in

Sushant Sinha said...

Thanks Laxmikant! May be your email reminded the nic.in folks to unblock IK. The update is going on in the background.

Tashi said...

Dear Amishra,

I am one of the thousands who use your website frequently and firstly I'd like you to know that your efforts are most appreciated. Thank you. Now for the second part. From the above I couldn't understand whether your site has been unblocked by NIC or not. Anyway if there's anything that I can do to help, please let me know.
Thank you once again.
Yours sincerely,
Tashi Norbu Basi from Gangtok, Sikkim
email tnttnb@gmail.com